Relationships Based Learning / Culture Counts
Professional Learning Development
Here’s your chance to collaborate with each other about the PLD we are doing!
It would be great if we could all contribute to the pinboards and keep the discussion going.
LEADERS OF LEARNING CREATE A FAMILY-LIKE CONTEXT FOR LEARNING BY:
1. Rejecting deficit explanations for learners’ learning. Which means that:
- Deficit explanations are not used to explain learners’ difficulties
- Agentic talk is clearly articulated, and learners are encouraged as they succeed
- Errors and mistakes are seen as being opportunities to learn, not insurmountable problems
- Learners’ language, culture and heritage are seen as assets and not as hindrances to learning
1. Caring for and nurturing the learner, including their language and culture. Which means that:
- Culturally appropriate and responsive learning contexts are provided for and created.
- Learners can bring their own cultural experiences to the learning interaction/conversation.
- Learners’ prior learning is utilized.